Albuquerque’s unique character is the result of numerous different groups, feasible none as significant as the centuries-old history that has molded the city. Began with the Native Americans who have called the area home for thousands of years, and persisting through the official founding of the city in 1706, Albuquerque has developed into a multicultural metropolis of almost a million people. ‘
Though Albuquerque’s modern city is recognized as a center of high technology research and industry, it reserves vital relations to the history, such as the notable Old Town Plaza, the vintage neon signs trail along Route 66, and the Petroglyph National Monument’s ancient rock carvings. In 2006, the city proudly commemorated its tricentennial, but Albuquerque’s roots started much further.
Archeological evidence stipulates that individuals have lived in the location of what is currently Albuquerque for more than 10,000 years, making the site one of America’s longest continuously settled areas. The people of Tiwa were living in pueblos down the Rio Grande and the floodplain of the river allows them to cultivate extensive gardens when Spanish explorers beneath conquistador Francisco Vásquez de Coronado set foot in the region in 1570.
Other settlement’s intervals had not detained the Tiwa from joining the trading system that extended as far south like to Mexico and as far east like to the Great Plains. The expedition of Coronado sent scouting parties for the Seven Golden Cities of Cíbola deep into what is now Kansas for their quest.
The Spanish government, in 1610, established the Santa Fe and New Mexico’s provincial capital. The capital and other centers of Spain were abandoned after the 1680’s brutal Pueblo Rebellion. Spanish governors desired to create a more powerful military presence in the area after the recapture of 1692. Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdés, the provincial governor, ordered that a garrison of Spain be founded near the pueblos of Tiwa in 1706.
To gain identification as a village, by Spanish Law, the new settlement needed to have 30 Spanish families in its population. The pleasant, small town became known for its orderliness and cleanliness, in addition to its San Felipe de Neri, the mission church. Over the next century, Albuquerque developed from several pueblos and adobe houses to over a hundred sturdy buildings, nourished by irrigation canals, or acequias’ extensive system.
In 1821, Mexico gain independence from Spain and New Mexico became under the rule of Mexico. American troops occupied Albuquerque throughout the Mexican-American War. In 1850, after the Americans won the war, the government of America declared New Mexico as the United States’ official territory.
A fort was built in Albuquerque and Santa Fe continued as the territorial capital. Albuquerque turned into a major transportation center of the region, with rail lines that served as the economic growth’s important instruments. The population of the territory increased with the arrival of immigrants and workers, and in 1885, the area was incorporated as a town. Albuquerque had become a city by 1891.
The economy of Albuquerque started to diversify after the Cold War, specifically in the development of computer equipment and solar energy systems. Even so, Albuquerque continued to heavily depend on military and federal expenditures. The eruptive postwar growth of the city exemplifies the growth of the entire Southwest and continued to increase in the 21st century’s first decade.
Albuquerque is currently known as a major city in the Southwest with a distinctive population and a few of the leading high technology research facilities in the nation, including the University of New Mexico, Sandia National Laboratories, and Intel. Simultaneously, the cultural traditions of Albuquerque maintained to be a vital part of the city’s everyday life.